Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Less is the new more!

Yes, that is ME...eye patch and all! I think I must have been about 4 or so and I was visiting Santa at the Army base.

Some of my favorite memories growing up are of the simplest things. My favorite Christmas memory was in the early 80's. Dad had just been stationed back in Germany shortly before Christmas and our household goods had not arrived yet. We were in an apartment in a high rise on the 18th floor and we had no furniture, no toys, nothing but what we had with us on the plane... and it was Christmas time.

I am sure times were tight financially but I certainly had no idea at my young age. My parents went and bought us a plastic bowling set, a couple of board games, and I got my first paint by numbers! They bought a miniature tree that had a stand attached and we decorated with popcorn and aluminum foil balls. My parents put one strand of lights on the little tree which we did not light in honor of the hostages being held in the "Iran Hostage Crisis." I didn't know what that meant, but I did know that we were honoring Americans who wouldn't get to have Christmas with their families. 

My parents played games with us and, since we had no furniture, the living room made an awesome bowling alley for our new plastic bowling pins! We didn't have much, but we had fun and it is one of my fondest memories.

Isn't it time we stopped creating debt and started creating memories? I promise you that the kids will remember the times you spent with them and appreciate your time more than your gifts. They will also remember any acts of charity you do together and they will likely make that part of their adult life as well.

Less is the new more... give less, feel more. Cry less, laugh more. Complain less, honor more. Buy less, love more. Create your children's favorite future memories this year and Live Inspired Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment